A basic question about ties

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: A basic question about ties
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 03:06:55 -0400

Often I need to move the vertical position of a specific tie just a small amount. This is because I am using a custom flared tie function which draws flat ties with flared ends, and somtimes the ties sit right on a staff line, making them quite hard to read. This is the background, but not the main point of this question.

Setting the vertical position with an override, I thought naively that one could use \once before the override and only the following tie would be affected. But that does not work (2.19.48). I find I have to use \temporary and then issue a \revert call afterwards.

The following MWE illustrates. For the purposes of this very basic question I have used ordinary ties and not the special flared ties I mentioned above.

Pardon my very base ignorance, but does this relate to the fact the \once applies to the current musical moment, whereas a tie spans several moments? [I know this may be complete rubbish.]

Andrew

== snip

\version "2.19.48"

{
  \time 1/4
  \stemDown

  \temporary \override TieColumn.tie-configuration = #`((3.8 . ,UP))
  c''4 ^~
  c''8
  \revert TieColumn.tie-configuration
  s8 s

  \temporary \override TieColumn.tie-configuration = #`((2.6 . ,UP)
                                                        (-2 . ,DOWN)
                                                        (-7.2 . ,DOWN))

  \revert TieColumn.tie-configuration
}