Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 00:09:46 +0000

On 9/15/16 5:17 PM, "Chris Yate" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Oh yeah, these examples are a case in point! The first seems to suggest
>dots should stay within the area of the chord, while the second suggests
>it's ok to have dots extending the chord as long as they're balanced
>vertically.

The first follows her rule that says "If a dot is 2 spaces or more away
from the limit of the chord, trim all the dots to the space occupied by
the chord."

The second has no dot two spaces or more away, so the dots stay, even
though they extend beyond the chord.  Both are exactly consistent with her
words, as I read them.  There is no inconsistency between her examples and
her rules that I can see.

I'm now home and have checked my other references.  Read does not address
cases that would move dots beyond the span of the chord. Neither does Ross.

Powell (Music Engraving Today) is consistent with your examples.  The rule
he gives is "If there are too many notes for the number of spaces, leave
off a dot.  Never put a dot a third away from a note, and never try to put
two dots in one space."

In another place he says "Never put the dot more than a second away from
any note."

Thus, I think your preferences follow Powell's rules.  Now if I can just
figure out how to implement them (but I have some ideasÅ ).

Thanks,

Carl