Re: Lilypond reading pdf's

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Lilypond reading pdf's
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:15:53 +0200

Hi Donald, Hi All,

As it has already been said, direct conversion (pdf2ly) is not possible. You have to go through a 3rd party product to get an XML file and then do the xml2ly conversion.
I'm testing those OMR from time to time (you can add http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/omer.htm on the list). Audiveris is the worst, clearly out of date.
I did the last test in 2015 and I was impressed by the results with PhotoScore, very few mistakes.
Anyway, remember that the idea is to save time and you will be surprised on how time consuming are these processes. In any case, even with PhotoScore, you'll have to edit the ly file and work on it, hard on most case, to get a nice final result.
In conclusion, since you can typeset a ly file as fast as you read the music, it is far more interesting to do that than to go through a scanning process.
My 2 pence.

Cheers,
PierreĀ

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:21:32 +0100
"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's possible, though not necessarily easy nor free.

I gave Audiveris a try some time ago. It has a nice UI that allows solving
scanning problems before the recognition phase.

I don't know if it is still under active development, though.

https://audiveris.kenai.com/