Re: Alternative bar numbering [0.18571]

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Alternative bar numbering [0.18571]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 15:05:12 -0600

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Pastor Neubauer <address@hidden> wrote:

I’ve gotten two pieces of information that have clarified the problem. By using \relative so often I am essentially doing first lines each time with their indent being set at 10, but when Lilypond does the automatic line breaking it is using the “short-indent” value which is “0”. The solution is to set both indent and short-indent to the same value.

Thanks for your replies.

You're welcome! It's actually more than that. The use of \relative will not inherently start a new score. It's that since LilyPond saw it as the outermost _expression_ (enclosed by braces {...}), then it knew to wrap it in a \score block internally. Let me itemize some important things to know from this adventure we've gone on:

1. All music must be enclosed in either braces { ... } (for things that should appear sequentially in time) or double angle brackets << ... >> (for things that should appear simultaneously in time) for LilyPond to generate any score.
2. Each outermost set of braces or double angle brackets will generate its own score.
3. Each score has its own "indent" and "short-indent" properties, the first system of each score preceded by the "indent" value and each system thereafter in the same score preceded by the "short-indent" value. These values can be changed within a \paper block or within a specific score's \layout block.

Hope that helps clarify things a little bit more,
Abraham