Re: Keep alive together - call for use cases

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Keep alive together - call for use cases
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:02:04 +0200

On 08/19/2016 08:16 PM, Mark Knoop wrote:
At 18:02 on 19 Aug 2016, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>I recently typeset a concerto grosso from the baroque period, where
>the solo and tutti parts are identical during long sections and then
>they differ for some bars, every here and there. When entering the
>parts, I used tags to handle the differences so producing the separate
>parts works without problem. However, in the conductors score, I would
>prefer to only use a single stave per instrument when the solo and
>tutti play in unison, but individual staves when they differ. I
>managed to handle this using remove-layer as long as there's only a
>single instrument group that contains and occasional solo part, but if
>for example both violin 1 and violin 2 have a solo plus a tutti, then
>I didn't manage to get it to work correctly. The following example
>shows my current attempt. As can be seen, the split between solo and
>tutti parts happens both for violin 1 and 2 as soon as one of them is
>split. For example, in the second score line, I would like to see Vi I
>solo, Vi I tutti but only one stave with Vi II.
Hi Mats,

How does the attached look to you? Note I have moved the
Keep_alive_together_engraver to the GrandStaff level so that the vln I
and vln II groups can work independently. The problem now is making the
system start braces cooperate.
Yes, I would really like to keep the grouping of my original example, having the solo parts grouped togother in one GrandStaff/StaffGroup and the tutti parts in another group. That's why I tried to move the engraver to the Score level.

As was pointed out in another email, it's also a bit stupid to have duplicated but identical staves for tutti and unison versions of the parts, when we in fact only want to change the instrument name. Perhaps that can instead be accomplished by some extra Scheme hack for typesetting the instrument name?

    /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson, Prof.
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering