Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above st

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:22:14 +0200

Johan Vromans <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:45:51 -0500
> David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> This is true, they are not. In fact, I don't quite understand what
>> you mean by "applying" \global "to the music parts". All the Voices
>> are just Voices, aren't they?
>>
>> Anyway, the repeat structure has to be in all the parts
>> as summarised by David K in
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-07/msg00427.html
>>
>> > Specifying the structure of a score in \global is wonderful, it just
>> > doesn't work with midi.
>>
>> Which suggests that you haven't copied repeats into all the parts.
>> But what "doesn't work" for you exactly? (We need to be told before
>> we can start looking at a problem.)
>
> First of all, it isn't as much a problem (as in 'bug') but —for me, at
> least— a 'nice to have'.
>
> I find it very confusing that (see example t1) the repeats from
> \global are *shown* in all staffs, but not effective in the midi.

That's not really surprising.  The "repeats are shown" just by changing
the bar line type, there is no actual repetition of the graphical
content.  If you use \expandRepeats on the graphical representation, the
effect will be just as with the Midi, causing a repeat only in the
actual music containing the repeat instructions.

> The fact that they are shown gives the impression that they are
> effective, as in example t2.

They are just as effective as a \mark called "D.C. al fine".

--
David Kastrup