Re: An unusual marking

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: An unusual marking
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 14:53:04 +0100

On Mon, 2016-08-01 at 06:26 -0700, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>

> As Pierre showed, it’s a violin bowing indication. Interestingly the
> original engraving does not give it a name - it merely says ‘this
> mark’.
>

> I suppose you could call it a wedge.
>

> Very easy to do in Postscript or with markup paths. Shall I generate
> this for you?

That's very kind of you to offer, but it would seem a little extravagant
as its meaning is quite explicitly described and there exists a modern
notation for it (and I'm letting LilyPond modernize so much else to make
an easy-to-read edition for the modern player).
I do like to leave things un-modernized where convenient (e.g. I'm using
Dolce instead of "p") as it can help to draw the player's attention to
the fact that this isn't late romantic music, but I'm not on a one-man
crusade :)

Richard