Re: Lyrics.LyricText.font-size in layout block

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Lyrics.LyricText.font-size in layout block
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 23:38:15 +0200

Hi Colin,

> My question is:
> Is there documentation of what number I should give to get a particular
> decrease or increase in font size?
>
> There is this page:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/lyrictext
>
> From the above page:
> The font size, compared to the ‘normal’ size. 0 is style-sheet’s normal
> size, -1 is smaller, +1 is bigger. Each step of 1 is approximately 12%
> larger; 6 steps are exactly a factor 2 larger. Fractional values are
> allowed.

I don't know what is the reason for this (apparent?) contradiction
between the default value of 1.0 above this paragraph and the 'normal'
size 0.

But lyrics seem to have a default font-size of 1.0.

> But that is not what I'm getting.
> I tried this:
> \layout { Lyrics.LyricText.font-size = #-1 }
> That reduced the lyrics font size to less than half of the default size, by
> the looks of it.

It is really only by the looks of it! 1 - 6 = -5 is half the size and it
looks tiny. But if you measure it, you will see that it is indeed half
the size.

> Next I tried this:
> \layout { Lyrics.LyricText.font-size = #-0.2 }
> I estimate that gave me about 3/4 of the default font size.

Or rather 87% (my optical impression is more like your estimate).

> So I can sort of dial it in by trial and error, but of course it would be
> great to know the exact formula.

The factor with respect to the default font size is (1 is the default
font-size here, other objects have other default sizes, defined in
scm/define-grobs.scm):

factor = 2^((font-size-1)/6)

Cheers,
Joram