Use variable to simplify colorizing specific notes

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: Use variable to simplify colorizing specific notes
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 16:17:22 -0400

I wonder if anyone could give me some concise advice on how to simplify colorizing specific notes.  I know that preceding the note with "\tweak color #red" turns the color red but when one has many colorized notes, this becomes very cluttered.

I'm transcribing and  analyzing Turkish improvisations, and I'm colorizing "stable" notes to help visualize the structure of the improvisation.  What I have in mid is setting a variable such as

    stable = \tweak color #red

so that in the score I can simply precede a note name with

    \stable

However I haven't found any variant of this that works.

Thanks!

Jim Garrett