Re: lilypond - Tex

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: lilypond - Tex
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 22:26:20 -0500

On Mon 11 Jul 2016 at 21:26:48 (+0200), bart deruyter wrote:
> the thread "state-of-the-art for algorithmic hooks and Lilypond+(La)TeX"
> caught my eye because I recently started documenting what I'm studying in
> music and because I often stumble upon pdf's in imslp, method-books for
> guitar and piano, which use a lot of text and scores (obviously). In the
> case of the old method-books, like for guitar of Guiliani, Aguado, etc...
> the main element are scores and text is merely explanation, in other words
> the focus is on the scores, but more advanced text handling would be
> welcome.
>
> I've been working one way in latex, adding scores as "by lilypond rendered
> images", and I have been experimenting with adding text in \markuplist
> blocks with scores. Both work 'ok' but of course latex is way more advanced
> for text and on the other hand, having to crop each png rendered image is
> quite a cumbersome task.

I started years ago with inserting PNG files into LaTeX, but soon gave
it up in favour of PDFs which have the advantage that they remain 100%
crisp in the final output however much you magnify them. In addition,
there are tools like pdfcrop in TeX Live which crop PDFs perfectly.

Whether you can insert PDFs may depend on which LaTeX you use. I would
imagine it would be a problem if you still used ye actual latex to
write DVI files and then dvips and some flavour of ps2pdf, but who
does that now. I used pdfLaTeX for a while, but LuaLaTeX nowadays,
with the following line in my .cls file:
\RequirePackage{graphicx} % for inserting pdfs
and each file inserted with:
\includegraphics{pdf-file-relative-basename}
or
\includegraphics[height=<whatever>]{pdf-file-relative-basename}

> So far I've only seen documentation and discussion about inserting lilypond
> code into a latex document. I've tried it, but it gets fairly technical for
> me, and I often include lilypond files in others, which makes it even more
> complicated to use lilypond-book.

I would find that far too complicated. I would rather keep LP and
LaTeX apart and use a script or simple makefile if there were enough
fragments to merit it.

> I don't think it is possible now, but maybe it would be interesting to work
> the other way round: inserting latex code in a lilypond file. Or would it
> be possible? :-)

I suppose it would be possible to generate EPS from LaTeX output and
include that as markup in LP, but I have used LaTeX and TeX for over
30 years and am far better at placing music snippets where I want
them in LaTeX than fiddling about with markups in LP. Just for example,
one of the most missed features in LP is the equivalent of \vspace and
\vfill.

I also find it a lot easier to write macros and character substitutions
in LaTeX than to even think about learning to do such things in scheme.

Cheers,
David.