Re: Position fingerings for diatonic accordion that include button name

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Position fingerings for diatonic accordion that include button name (not just finger)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:48:48 +0200

On 9 July 2016 at 17:07, David Kastrup wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:

>>> Slovenia is a nice area to be in for diatonic accordion, though.

>>> The automation currently available for diatonic accordion sucks (not
>>> even sucks and blows).
>>
>> :)
>>
>>> There is a quasi-ancient example in the manual at
>>> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/templates#templates-score-for-diatonic-accordion>.

I tried to reproduce the bold line from the example, but I need to dig
a bit further and get a better understanding of the code to be able to
do it.

I want just a thick line below the lyrics spanning the area where push
is required, no thin line elsewhere or anything else

So for a moment I just used "bow up" and "bow down" notation which I
found in one of the books I just bought.

>> But the example in attachment is a good compromise that allows piano
>> players as well as either type of accordion player (those who prefer
>> reading the usual score and those who prefer just counting buttons) to
>> follow and I see it used here pretty often.
>
> Since it isn't actually a Griffschrift but rather a normal score plus
> additional information, it should actually be easier to target than most
> other diatonic accordion notations.

I'm attaching two examples of a simple song. It's not exactly a
"minimal" example because I wanted to give the impression of how the
complete scores would look like.

Here are some of the suggested approaches:

=== ^\markup{} ===

PRO:
- The button name is written next to the pitch: this makes most sense.
CONTRA:
- I don't know how to align it vertically properly.

I tried to "play" with lilypond a bit further. I went ahead and read
the gentle introduction to Scheme and came up with
"overtext-na-planincah" (in attachment).

AA = #(define-event-function (parser location aButton aFinger) (markup? markup?)
  #{ ^\markup{ \with-color #(rgb-color 0.5 0 0) #aFinger \with-color
#(rgb-color 0 0 0.5) #aButton } #}
)

- I would like to use the function as '\AA{C3 1}' rather than '\AA
"C3" "1"', but don't know how to do it.
- The finger number should be optional and should be a number rather
than markup.

I can now use
    <<f4\AA "B4" "2" a\AA "B5" "3" >>
(the idea would be to "auto-generate" the "f" and "a" at some point,
but not just yet as I need to get the proper layout first).

This illustrates the same problem as I mentioned at the beginning
though: I'm unable to align the text vertically.

I saw references to "Voice.Fingering.padding" (section 5.2 Explaining
the Internals Reference) and "self-alignment-Y . 0", but I don't know
how to apply these or whether it makes any difference.

=== lyrics ===

In "na-planincah" I (mis)used the lyrics to typset button names.

PRO:
- nicely aligned vertically
CONTRA:
- super weird to enter when the song contains a mixture of one, two
and three fingers (the third finger in a single pitch would require
the third line of "lyrics", pontentially just for a single pitch)
- it would need some further tweaking of course

Ideally I should figure out how to make a horizontal line to denote a
push/pull, but if current marking stay, they should probably be
printed below finger notation / button names.

=== fingering ===

(adding "-<number>" to the pitch)

PRO:
- allows specifying the finger number (half of the task I want to achieve)
- nice default font :)
CONTRA:
- doesn't let me specify anything else but the finger number alone (or
at least I don't know how to add anything else)
- I don't know how to align it vertically

=== accords ===

I still didn't understand how to apply
    \tweak text "D2" c1

I also wasn't able to modify your attachment to suit my needs. In
particular, my attempts screwed up the lyrics (the lyrics was only
applied to pitch names; where names were missing, the lyrics would
skip the pitch).

I can imagine though that it might at some point be useful to support
output similar to

http://sola-diatonicne-harmonike.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMEJ-ME-RADA-1-ex.jpg

Basically something similar to woodwind diagrams, drawing all the
buttons and coloring the buttons being pressed.

===

I'm open to suggestions for improvements.

(I will soon have to figure out how to automate the input, but that's
for another topic.)

Mojca