Re: offset for lyrics does not offset the lyric hyphens

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: offset for lyrics does not offset the lyric hyphens
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 19:38:50 +0200

> Hey!  I think I may have found a possible bug.
>
> So, I have been playing around with the use of instrumentName and
> shortInstrumentName for uses of numbering lyrics.
>
> Now, when have a key signature that doesn't take up much horizontal space on
> the bar then it is possible that the numbers may overlap some of the lyric
> text.
>
> So you can use
> \override Lyrics.LyricText #'extra-offset = #'(2 . 0)
>
> to move the lyric text around so that it is out of the way of the numbers.
>
> However, this causes a few problems:
> 1.  Since it is an offset it does not affect how the text lines up with the
> music notes - but I think this is correct procedure for an offset.
> 2. And this is the bug (I think) - hyphenated lyrics move, but their --
> hyphens do not move with them.  So the offset causes the lyric words to
> overlap their hyphens.

Since this is exactly how 'extra-offset is supposed to work: no bug.
Abraham already mentioned better alternative commands.
In general: you can't go wrong regarding 'extra-offset as a last, last
resort. I _always_ try to avoid it.

> All of that having been said, is there a way to move the text along with the
> notes?  In other words, can I push the music with its lyrics to the right a
> little bit somehow to get space?
>
> (I'm still playing with Harm's stanza trick; but I like the instrumentName
> method better because it keeps the numbers in the same place on every bar and
> doesn't shift position on account of word lengths)

Please open new thread(s) on the user-list, so that it is better
searchable in the archives later on.
Ofcourse a minimal example including the lily-version, showing the
problem is always conditio sine qua non.

Cheers,
  Harm