ly:parser-parse-string again

From: Urs Liska
Subject: ly:parser-parse-string again
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 15:01:33 +0200

Hi,

I'm once more struggling with the commands to include files within Scheme functions.

In the attached .ily files one defines a music _expression_ while the other uses it in a Staff definition.

I can happily make that work using regular \includes or by calling ly:parser-include-string twice. But I need to wrap this into a Scheme function to include multiple files from within a function and process the results (the music expressions from the files) within the same function.

I am not surprised that the second approach (using ly:parser-include-string twice within the function) doesn't work. Last time this question popped up I learned that any definition from inside the included file will only be visible after the function has returned. (uncomment second example to see it "in action").

So I thought I had to use ly:parser-parse-string together with ly:parser-clone to make the definitions available earlier, and in another context this worked (https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core/blob/master/oll-core.ily#L59).

However, this time I get strange errors with the parse-string function as that doesn't even seem to be able to parse the first file properly. The first error is

levelOne.ily:3:19: error: wrong type for argument 2. Expecting music, found "c"

music = \relative

c' { c }

followed by numerous consecutive errors that are probably neglectable.

I would very much appreciate any further clarification and assistance as I really don't have a clue how to proceed.

Urs

PS: The actual context is https://git.openlilylib.org/bfsc/kayser/blob/score/includes/lib/file-handling.ily#L124 (the unfinished stuff starting from L. 143), but I'm not sure if that's sufficiently retraceable from that page)