Re: Installing on Ubuntu Studio

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Installing on Ubuntu Studio
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 15:11:59 +0300

Hi Marcelo,

I see. The so called GUI on the mac is just LilyPad, a very crude basic text editor which also allows you to run the lilypond command. It can hardly be described as a GUI platform for lilypond.

This tool is not available on Linux systems precisely because Linux users have a superabundance of powerful text editors available to them such as emacs, vi, and gedit and things like Atom nowadays. Using emacs and the command line on linux is a fast, powerful and effective way of working. Urs Liska has written extensively on the power and advantage of a full text based workflow for engraving.

As far as Frescobaldi goes, it is difficult to imagine anybody objecting to it. It offers a reasonable text editor, but more importantly point and click in the PDF which takes you directly to the location in the source code file that produced that object (which by the way you can still do with emacs and so on anyway,s ince that is a lilypond feature and not a Frescobaldi one). Also, highlighting source code allows you to jump to tha point in the score immediately. I prodcude extraordinarily dense scores for colleagues of the New Complexity School, and without Frescobaldi I would be utterly lost.

Hope this my be useful.

Andrew