Re: NR 2.10.2 - arabic key signatures

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: NR 2.10.2 - arabic key signatures
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 10:10:18 +0000

On 7/1/16 5:08 AM, "Federico Bruni" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>In the following paragraph, taken from
>http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/arabic-music#arabic-k
>ey-signatures
>
>> Other maqams in the same bayati group, as shown in the table below:
>> (bayati, hussaini, saba, and ushaq) can be indicated in the same way.
>> These are all variations of the base and most common maqam in the
>> group, which is bayati. They usually differ from the base maqam in
>> their upper tetrachords, or certain flow details that don¹t change
>> their fundamental nature, as siblings.
>
>The last sentence seems quite obscure to me. What are "flow details"?
>What are "siblings" in this context?

I think that "flow details" and "siblings" are arabic music terms, rather
than LilyPond internal terms.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_maqam

Although, I can't really understand that wikipedia page either.  It
appears that maqams are so different from traditional western music that
the terms are very difficult to relate.

Thanks,

Carl