Re: Spare SSD anybody?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Spare SSD anybody?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 12:36:02 +0200

Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> recently I was afraid about my SSD for the same reason, so I asked our
> institute's IT service staff who cares for some dozens (hundreds?) of
> laptops and desktops with SSDs.
>
> They say that even power users of hibernation with high rate of data
> turnover didn't manage to damage their SSDs lately; the horror stories
> for the first generations of SSDs seem not to apply anymore.

Well, I am not sure I have significantly later than first generation...

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Samsung based SSDs
Device Model:     SAMSUNG SSD PM810 2.5" 7mm 128GB
Serial Number:    S0NRNEAB524258
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0000f0 000000000
Firmware Version: AXM08D1Q
User Capacity:    128,035,676,160 bytes [128 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS, ATA/ATAPI-7 T13/1532D revision 1
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 1.5 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Jun  1 12:23:20 2016 CEST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

> You still have to take a bit of care (try to have some empty space,
> and run fstrim once in a while), but other than that you should be
> fine.  As you experienced, the SMART information is rather unhelpful
> unless you have additional context by the manufacturer; more often
> than not, the only semi-reliable source are the manufacturer's own
> toolkits (which, unfortunately, are hardly available on Linux).

> That being said: which form factor/connector do you need?

SATA, 2.5".

> I can ask if I can grab something. Many parts from few-year old
> machines are sorted out regularly here. Not sure about hard disks,
> though - there might be regulations for data protection that prevent
> them from giving out old drives.

Sure, it would be nice to keep in mind.  I'm not really sure what the
expected lifetime of the disk I have is.  Maybe I just need to keep
making backups in sane intervals and otherwise am still fine.

--
David Kastrup