Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:48:35 +1000

Hi Sam,

On 23/05/2016, 5:43 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Sam Bivens" wrote:

I want to mimic the given edition as closely as possible;

Do you want to do that or do you want to get close to what Bach wrote? If you
look at the Bach autograph of this piece, available in the Digital Bach
Archive, you will see not only no nachschlag there but hardly any phrasing
slurs, and definitely not the dotted one in your sample image. The ornament in
your edition is an editorial insertion, and cobbled together with type punches
they had lying around I suppose. For myself, as a harpsichord player and
student of Bach, I’d prefer to set from the autograph manuscript where
possible. Of course, then you must become musicologist and editor yourself, but
there is something to be said for that. And I am not keen on propagating
incorrect editorial decisions and misconceptions through further typesetting of
them.

Of course, there are a lot of MSS of this work by various copyists, available
in the same archive. I have not checked them all. But if Bach himself is
leaving out the ornament signs it means he expects you to be a good enough
musician to understand what to do without being told – as per normal in 18c
music.

Here’s the Bach Digital Archive:

https://www.ilab.org/eng/documentation/275-bach_digital__johann_sebastian_bachs_autograph_manuscripts.html

Attached is the fragment in question from the autograph.

Andrew