Re: Guitar harmonics indicators

From: BB
Subject: Re: Guitar harmonics indicators
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 17:40:10 +0200

On 20.05.2016 15:44, Tim McNamara wrote:
Bear in mind, though, that fairly few guitarists are used to seeing guitar
written as if for piano.  Johnny Smith advocated that, because it allows the
guitar to be written as it sounds, but he was almost unique.  99% of the
relatively few guitarists who can sight read expect to see treble clef,
transposed up an octave.  Few could play the example given.
That is real! In my classical guitar education (50 years from now) I just had to read and play such notes for training purposes. I never needed that again.

One fairly common standard is using an open diamond head to indicate the
harmonic, but that is really only useful for octave harmonics.

I do not agree that the diamond representation is useful only for octave harmonics. But an open diamond indeed is exclusively used for octave harmonics in some natation systems. The filled diamond head is then usually used for the other harmonics. But it is also common to use just normal (eliptic) note heads with Arabic or Roman numeral to indicate fret number. The string number may or may not be expressed and the left hand fingering may or may not be expressed. Sometimes one might find a H or a small empty circle obove notehead or beside the fret number. All combinations will result in many different possible ways of notation really in use!

Some composer/arrangers who use this system of natural harmonic notation differentiate between harmonics that sound the same pitches as the written notes and those that produce different pitches from the written notes. Heitor Villa-Lobos used this type of notation, but to regret, there are many, many errors/mistakes in his printed sheets.

To summarise, there are many systems for notation of harmonics. The most used is the system of Heitor Villa-Lobos . (That is just my personal impression, I think it depends on the publisher that published most of classical guitar literature?)

At the 12th fret, the pitch of the written note and the pitch that comes out of the guitar are the same. At the 19th fret the harmonics sound the same pitch as the written pitch.

At the 7th fret, the pitch produced with a harmonic is an octave higher than the written note. At the 5th fret, the pitch that comes out of the guitar is an octave plus a fifth higher than the written note. At the 4th fret, the pitch that comes out of the guitar is two octaves higher (though noticeably flatter) than the written pitch. At the 9th fret, the pitches that come out of the guitar are exactly the same as the harmonics at the 4th fret. (Will often be used for tuning a guitar or a bass.)

Regards