Re: Troubleshooting installing dev version of lilypond on ubuntu

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting installing dev version of lilypond on ubuntu
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:48:49 -0500

On Wed 18 May 2016 at 12:31:19 (-0400), Paul wrote:

> But I've now got it working.  I noticed that I now have a ~/bin
> directory with "lilypond" and other shell scripts in it.  And
> everything works fine when I do:
>
> $ ~/bin/lilypond test.ly
>
> or just
>
> $ lilypond test.ly

Those are the intended methods.

> I can still access the 2.18.2 version via Frescobaldi by adding this path:
> /usr/bin/lilypond

That means ~/bin comes before the system directories in your $PATH
which is fine, as is the opposite. I define aliases lily and lilyo
to point to the respective versions; saves keystrokes!

> I wonder, is this the usual way/location to install a dev version
> alongside a stable version on GNU/Linux?  Might be nice to have this
> documented somewhere.  (Or maybe I'm just a newbie with this.)

Pretty much. If you list ~/bin/lilypond, you'll see something like

#!/bin/sh
me=`basename $0`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/david/lilypond/usr/lib"
exec "/home/david/lilypond/usr/bin/$me" "$@"

When you ran lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond, the whole of the
/home/david/lilypond/usr/lib tree was ignored and it tried to
use your system versions instead.

(Using PDFs is fine.)

Cheers,
David.