Re: 4 hands piano pieces book

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: 4 hands piano pieces book
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 14:35:17 -0400

Greetings Alberto,

I have been wwriting A LOT of four-hand music, and I agree in
principle with most of what I have read in this thread. Even so, I
thought to chime in with my approach. As has been advised, I create
two separate book files, one for Secondo and one for Primo. The top of
each file is headed with the following:

#(define-markup-command (four-hand-page layout props offset) (number?)
  (let* (
    (two-hand (chain-assoc-get 'page:page-number-string props))
    (four-hand (number->string (+ offset (* 2 (string->number two-hand))))))
    (interpret-markup layout props four-hand)))

Then, in the \paper block, I include the following for the Secondo part:

oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line {
  \four-hand-page #0
  " "
}
    evenHeaderMarkup = ##f

Or, for the Primo part:

oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line {
  " "
  \four-hand-page #1
}
evenHeaderMarkup = ##f

In this way, each part will begin with the correct page number, and
the numbering will increase by two automatically.

In my experience, I have found that there can be no "master file" used
for determining page breaks, due to the lovely but unpredictable way
that LilyPond lays out pages. So this must still be done by trial and
error. I do, however, use the Secondo file in the end as a "master"
for generating a Table of Contents.

Finally, I also use pdftk to produce the full book, but the process
outlined earlier can be extremely streamlined if you use the "collate"
feature. You do not need to burst the files into separate pages; pdftk
will automatically alternate the pages when combining the two files.

I hope this has been helpful.

Hwaen Ch'uqi