Why are my full-measure rests engraved as two rests?

From: Henry Law
Subject: Why are my full-measure rests engraved as two rests?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 12:52:55 +0100

According the the Notation Reference (1.2.2) "A full-measure rest is printed as either a whole or breve rest, centered in the measure, depending on the time signature". But on my 2.18.2 installation the following

\version "2.18.2"

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice \with {
      \consists "Pitch_squash_engraver"
    } {
      \time 4/4
      \improvisationOn
      bes4. c8~c4 r4 |
      \compressFullBarRests
      R1*3 |

... produces whole-measure rests represented curiously as a breve and a whole-note rest, as shown in http://www.lawshouse.org/music/minimal_example.jpg I tried it without Pitch_squash_engraver, and also without improvisationOn and got the same results.

Sigh ... I expect it's me, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England