Re: Horizontal Brackets and Markup Placement

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Horizontal Brackets and Markup Placement
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 11:38:33 +0200

> Hi everyone,
>
> In the attached MWE, I'm somehow having trouble getting the initial
> `^\markup a` to be placed above the horizontal bracket, even though all
> future instances of this markup are placed above the bracket no problem. It
> seems so simple; I feel a little silly just asking. The commented out
> override does the trick, but it brings up some other undesirable issues that
> I'd rather not deal with. Any tips would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

The code below seems to work.
Though, I've absolutely no idea why ...

\version "2.19.40"

\language english

\layout {
  \context {
    \Voice
    \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver"

\relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \override HorizontalBracket.direction = #UP
  \override Score.BarNumber #'break-align-symbols =
    #'(staff-bar clef)

  \override HorizontalBracket.outside-staff-priority = #1
  % \override TextScript.avoid-slur = #'inside
%% "a " instead of "a" ??
  g2\(\startGroup^\markup "a " g4. g8 | % this markup should be above
the bracket
  ef'2. d4 c2 g |
  af1\)->\stopGroup |
  g2\(\startGroup^\markup a' g4. g8 |