Re: Choice of pitch input mode

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Choice of pitch input mode
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 16:55:25 +0200

Am 29.04.2016 um 13:58 schrieb Matt Hood:
What does everyone prefer? Relative, absolute, or a mix of both?

I always use \relative without reference pitch because reference pitches confused me every single time I used them. In RhythmicStaffs I use only durations without pitch (possible in 2.19).

Add in temporary polyphonic passages, chords, etc, and it all just becomes an
exercise in trial and error. Any tips for keeping control?

I use LilyPond for composing and arranging so I often have to insert notes before others. This could change the following notes. But there is simple solution (which also is suitable for polyphonic music): Use octave checks.

\relative {
  c'4 d e f
  s1*3 % this will be filled in the future
  g=''8 a b g c2
}

This generates warnings but I ignore them until the piece is finished; only then I add , and ' before the =.

Concerning chords: I always input the pitches in the same order (upwards or downwards but not both). Whether upwards or downwards depends on where some sort of melody is but you could also stick to one single direction.