Re: Replying to posts

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:48:24 +0100

On 25/04/16 13:39, Tim McNamara wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2016, at 5:00 AM, Andrew Bernard
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> In a recent post David Wright asks of  a user:
>>
>>> Please configure your client to post a text equivalent of your
>>> HTML
>> code.
>>
>> He also asked me to do that.
>
> The reality is that the world, given the ubiquity of broadband and
> graphical interfaces, has moved on from plain text.  It is no
> longer the standard and has not been for a decade or more- most
> Internet users have, I suspect, no knowledge of this old standard
> any longer. Expecting others to accommodate what is now an out of
> date standard will simply continue to create issues.  It's like
> expecting web developers to accommodate lynx in creating Web pages-
> probably not going to happen very often.
>
> One can choose to use text-only software but at this point we are
> responsible for our own problems if we do.  The world has changed
> and left us behind.

Your comments about broadband being ubiquitous are unfounded.  Even
where broadband is claimed, plenty of people still struggle on with
around 1Mb/s.  Using BT in the south east of England we only get 1.6
Mb/s and I don't appreciate sitting and waiting just so that exploding
blancmange can be projected onto my screen.  Stick to ASCII for text
and keep the fancy stuff for when it's needed.