Re: Guitar bend error

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Guitar bend error
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 12:14:01 +0200

> I’m transcribing a rock guitar solo, and to engrave the many string bends
> I’m using Stephen MacNeil’s LilyPond code library, available here:
>
> http://mglessons.com/lilypond/

The code Stephan hosts is a nightmare, because all indentation has
gone. For further testing I used my own version of the bend-files
which should be pretty much the same as hosted at openlilylib.

> If I use the “definitions_No-Tab.ly” file, LilyPond engraves the file with
> no hiccups. However, if I use the “definitions.ily” for notation and TAB, I
> get the following error:
>
> Drawing
> systems.../Users/devon/Downloads/lilypond-archive/guitar_functions/definitions.ily:180:14:
> In procedure ly:event-property in expression (ly:event-property (event-cause
> right-bound) (quote pitch)):
>
> /Users/devon/Downloads/lilypond-archive/guitar_functions/definitions.ily:180:14:
> Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting Prob): #f
>
> Exited with return code 1.
>

> Learning Scheme is still on my to-do list, so I don’t quite understand
> what’s going on here. Frustratingly, I can’t seem to localize the error -
> I’ve tried compiling the file with different sections commented out, but the
> error isn’t consistently generated. A few times it happened at bar 13, but
> then it happened at bar 31, and then a few more times at places in between.
> It reliably compiles for the first 12 bars, but that’s it.
>

> I’ve put the LilyPond code in a Gist here:
>

> https://gist.github.com/devonlepage/624c66513538ad6b42de0f665857ade7
>

> This is the first third of the transcription. I’m hoping it will be enough
> that someone might be able to diagnose the problem. I’ve taken out all
> extraneous formatting code, which didn’t seem to effect the error.
>

> I’m using Frescobaldi 2.19 with LilyPond 2.19.40. It also happens in 2.18. I
> would prefer to use 2.19 so that I can use an alternative music font in the
> final document.
>

> I hope someone can help me figure out what’s going on.
>

> Thanks!
>

> -Devon LePage.

The problem is line-breaking. The bending-code doesn't support it.
Honestly, I've no clue how it should look at line-break.
To proof whether it's a line-break-issue include:

\paper { page-breaking = #ly:one-line-breaking }

You'll see the error vanished.

A minimal breaking example:

\include "definitions.ily"
\new TabVoice \relative c'' { \bendOn c1( \break d) }

Though, what to do?
Currently breaks are disabled at the end of \bendOn, which sometimes
is not enough.
It is likely possible to disallow line-breaks at all while \bendOn
works. But is surely not what you want, while applying \bendOn to a
larger piece of music.

Best I can think of is to disallow breaks at all, inserting them all manually.
For that you could use:

\layout { \autoLineBreaksOff }

HTH,
  Harm