Re: error: can't allocate region - layout block?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: error: can't allocate region - layout block?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:20:00 +0000

On 4/22/16 7:11 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I¹m again plagued by a memory error:
>
>lilypond(27883,0xa2db5000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=106917888) failed
>(error code=3)
>*** error: can't allocate region
>*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

I can confirm this problem on OSX 10.8.5.

I don't know how to solve it, but I have noticed that there is a
programming error that occurs earlier in the output, probably due to some
removed empty staves.  If this were my file, I would try to track down
that programming error.  I think it may be related.

Fitting music on 79 or 80 pages...
Drawing systems...
programming error: could not find this grob's vertical axis group in the
vertical alignment
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: could not find this grob's vertical axis group in the
vertical alignment
continuing, cross fingers

Note that this error mentions a missing vertical axis group, which is a
container that holds staves.  Perhaps some grob is trying to be generated
that is tied to a staff that has been removed.

I have also noticed that the maximum memory used by LilyPond at the time
the malloc error was thrown was about 2.45 GB.

And I have confirmed that if I leave the layout block in, but comment out
the RemoveAllEmptyStaves, there is no malloc error.  So the problem is
clearly with removing the staves.  I believe that if you can track down
the source of the programming error it will fix your malloc problem.

But I don't have the time to go through your enormous score and track down
the source of the programming error.  There are some suggestions in the
documentation:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/troubleshooting

Good luck!

Carl