Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 13:35:01 +0100

My usual bugbear ... :-(

I have a couple of instances where I have a rehearsal mark, a tempo mark, and a tune name all wanting to be over the same barline (this is an arrangement, where there are several tunes and each is identified where it occurs).

So I have something along the lines of

<<
{ s1 | \mark \default \tempo "poco allegretto" s1^\markup "This is the army mr jones" s1*7 }
{ c1 | R1*2 }

However, the two "s1"s are causing the R1*2 to print as two separate bars :-( I'm also getting

warning: MultiMeasureRestText has empty extent and non-empty stencil.

in the log, which I guess is related. Any ideas how to get the rest to print as a multi-measure rest? The problem, from my pov, is that the first, markup, line is meant to be shared across multiple parts, so if I do s1*8^\markup, the text is centred over the 8-bar phrase or some other wrongness, although that fixes the multi-measure-rest problem.

The other problem I have, is is there any way I can shunt markup left or right (both tempo and text)? I've been using extra-spacing-width, which works a treat sometimes, and is dreadful elsewhere. It's been fine for rehearsal marks, but when I use it on tempo and text, it's been shoving the music out of the way, which then looks awful. I just want to push the text slightly to the right to avoid colliding with the rehearsal mark (and I have tried extra-spacing-width leaving one or other argument at its default +-infinity, and again it seems to work sometimes and be a nightmare elsewhere ...) All the horizontal adjustment stuff I've seen seems to be for in-staff objects like lines, noteheads, accidentals ... will they work on markups?

Pointers greatly appreciated ...

Cheers,
Wol