Re: Lilypond error behaviour

From: Sharon Rosner
Subject: Re: Lilypond error behaviour
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:41:05 -0700 (MST)

> Now it appears that there are people who want to change that
> because they want to add some sort of post-processing by machine
> (embedding LP in Makefiles, or into a server), or even just the
> imposition of some tidier design principle that has nothing
> to do with printing music.

Lilypond's handling of errors is fine. It's just the reporting of errors
that's not.

> I think I'll risk making you uncomfortable in order to argue
> against arbitrary non-generation (or deletion) of PDF output.
> Sorry.

Again, it's rather the exit code, not the presence or absence of PDF's.

On a more general note, I think it's a real shame that whenever someone
wants to build any kind of tooling around lilypond, some "people" here get
into bunker mode. Lilypond is great, yes, but it could be improved, you
know...

Andrew, if you're still reading this futile exchange, just turn on
warning-as-error and be done with it.

Sharon