Re: Termination of variable definitions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Termination of variable definitions
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 20:51:13 +0200

David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:

> In starting to experiment with selective compilation using includes
> and/or the $(if condition action) structure provided by David Kastrup, I
> found that there is something very, very basic that I have never really
> understood.
>
> So at the risk of embarrassing myself, I should be grateful if somebody
> would explain the following: how does Lilypond recognize the end of a
> variable definition?

One expression.

> For instance, an example from the documentation shows:
>
> violin = \new Staff {
>   \relative {
>     a'4 b c b
>   }
> }

"cello" can be no part of a single music expression, so it becomes a new
statement.  Actually, at this point there are very few possible
continuations.  But there is one:

\addlyrics { oh right this one }

> cello = \new Staff {
>   \relative {
>     \clef "bass"
>     e2 d
>   }
> }
>
> What I don't understand is why the definition of 'violin' extends from
> 'new' to the right brace on line 5.  Why does the definition not extend,
> for instance, to the brace on line 12?

What would "cello" be?

> Alternatively, why does 'violin' not equate simply to '\new' or to
> '\new Staff' or '\new Staff {' ?

All those are not a complete music expression.

--
David Kastrup