RE: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?

From: Mark Stephen Mrotek
Subject: RE: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:21:36 -0700

Martin,

Hemiola?

Cf. WTC I 3 Prelude, measures 97 – 104.

Mark

From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Martin Neubauer
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:59 PM
To: Lilypond-User Mailing List <address@hidden>

On 6 April 2016 at 01:51, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:

That would be unnecessary. Better use the beamHalfMeasure context property, which is also explained on that docs page.

Interesting. In my defence I can only say that this wasn't available back when I started out with lilypond. But I played around a little with it now, and even though I can understand the sentiment behind it, the behaviour of that property seems a bit unconvincing to me. (For starters, it seems it's just a special case for a group of three quavers at the end of a measure.) And while it's a pretty exact fit for the original problem, whenever I had the need to alter the beaming I had to resort to more drastic measures.

Besides all that I was wondering how often the odd half measure beam really leads to ambiguity between 3/4 and 6/8 time in properly typeset music. (For me at least that has never been an issue.) Trying to justify a change in the practice of music typesetting (which as such is neither good nor bad) by accusing the performing musicians of sloppy thinking seems somewhat irritating to me...

Sorry for going off topic a bit there, but sometimes my mind just wanders off..

Best regards,

Martin

--

homme, ni présence