Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 13:34:01 +0200

On 6 April 2016 at 13:23, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Martin,

> when I explored the effect of that setting, I wasn't sure the outcome is really that desirable

Wait… is your example **actually** what happens with Timing.beamHalfMeasure = ##f?
At least on my computer, yes. I didn't check other versions of lilypond, though.
It’s awful. That should DEFINITELY not be the default.
Reminds me a bit of the old quote: "The problem XML solves isn't hard, and it doesn't solve the problem well."

In 3/4 time, my beaming is always in three pairs of eighths, unless the following two conditions simultaneously apply:
    (1) all sixth eighth notes are present (i.e., no rests); and
    (2) I want the measure to be felt in one, not three.

Otherwise, it’s pairs of eighths beamed, or single eighths with rests in all my scores.
That's very sensible and pretty much the same I do for more or less contemporary music.

Best regards,
Martin

--
homme, ni présence