Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 04:46:45 +0200

On 6 April 2016 at 04:16, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Martin,

On Apr 5, 2016, at 9:58 PM, Martin Neubauer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was wondering how often the odd half measure beam really leads to ambiguity between 3/4 and 6/8 time in properly typeset music.

In “West Side Story”, the half-measure beams in “America” indicate where the measure grooves in 6/8, and the full-measure beams indicate where the measure grooves in 3/4. (n.b. If I were engraving “WSS", I would go even further and beam the three quarters separately.) If it were arbitrarily beamed, that vital information would be lost.

Or is that not the kind of thing you were talking about?
Almost. But that's a case where Timing.beamHalfMeasure wouldn't help much (if at all). I was more curious about the existence of music that's strictly in 3/4 time and where the way of printing a three-quaver pickup would actually make a difference.

All the best,
Martin

--
homme, ni présence