Re: Custom drum midi notes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Custom drum midi notes
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 22:31:58 +0100

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Scheme 101 I guess.
>>>
>>> It sure did the trick!
>> Anything wrong with
>>
>> midiDrumPitches.key = bes'
>> midiDrumPitches.cr = d''
>> midiDrumPitches.bell = a''
>>
>> Look Ma, no Scheme!
>
> Brilliant. This is a really great development :-)

I think it's reasonably old, 2.18 for the dot syntax.  Standalone
pitches as pitches instead of a music expression were in 2.16 already:

commit 19990fb15a31ecd45d18777166617d14f30feb73
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Feb 5 22:28:48 2012 +0100

    Make #{ c' #} and x=c' create a pitch instead of a NoteEvent

    Since the specification of a pitch without a duration in those contexts
    makes it somewhat uncomfortable to guess the actually used duration, it
    is unlikely that much use of a default duration has been made in those
    constructs.  In particular #{ c' #} would appear handy.

It's more of a problem that this kind of stuff just takes a long time to
make it into "LilyPond lore", the way people reflexively do work in and
combine stuff with other LilyPond features.

--
David Kastrup