Re: difference of code construct

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: difference of code construct
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:26:18 -0500

On Fri 18 Mar 2016 at 16:42:45 (-0400), Benjamin Strecker wrote:
> I was a little curious about the difference in the output, but I'm afraid I
> can't offer a solution, only some observations after looking at it.
>
> In my tinkering, it seemed to be associated with the time signature.  In
> the example below (and attached), I get the same behavior you do, where the
> second score has the left-hand part continuing past the apparent end of its
> voice(s).  Additionally, there is inconsistency about the beaming of the
> eighth notes between the two scores.  However, if I change the time
> signature to 4/4 (and change R2. to R1 in the right hand), both scores
> produce the same output.
>
> Would anyone be able to elaborate if this is expected behavior?

I too cleaned up the example (which is a masterclass in obfucsation)
to get down to the bare bones. I would have thought that the answer
lies in NM (2.19.36) ยง5.1.3 pp571-2. The staff which ends with ">>"
gets the pair of instantiated voices killed off, whereas the one
ending ">> r" has already returned to its old voice when it finishes.

But this idea doesn't hold using crochets instead of quavers. So
perhaps, as you pointed out, the difference in beaming has something
to do with it, or is a symptom of some underlying difference.

(The attached example is the same with 2.18 and 2.19)

Cheers,
David.