volta with stanzas in variables

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: volta with stanzas in variables
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:32:27 +0100

Hi List,

I have a song with a \repeat volta 3 { ... } section in the middle (that is, it's padded before and after with about eight measures. The volta section has three stanzas of lyrics, but the 2nd and 3rd stanzas start as a pickup note at the end of the \alternative ending. Going from my previous MWE, something like this:

\version "2.19.36"

\relative c'' {
  r2 r4 a
  \repeat volta 3 {
    \repeat unfold 3 {
      a a a a }
    a2 a
  }
    \alternative {
      { a r4 b | }
      { a4 r r b | }
    }
    c d e a, | a1 |
  }

\addlyrics {
  \set stanza = #"1. "
  This is the start of the first two ly -- rics sec -- tions, they're so great! Wheeee!
   \set stanza = #"2. "
    Oh,
   }
  \addlyrics {
  ché -- ri, je t'aime
}

That works fine (minus the literary merits), but doesn't work if I try to do it with variables. ie, something like:

\version "2.19.36"

voceMusic = \relative c'' {
 r2 r4 a
  \repeat volta 3 {
    \repeat unfold 3 {
      a a a a }
    a2 a
  }
    \alternative {
      { a r4 b | }
      { a4 r r b | }
    }
    c d e a, | a1 |
  }

lyricsI = \lyricmode {
 \set stanza = #"1. "
  This is the start of the first two ly -- rics sec -- tions, they're so great! Wheeee!
   \set stanza = #"2. "
    Oh,
   }

lyricsII = \lyricmode {
ché -- ri, je t'aime
}

\score {

<<
 \new ChoirStaff = "Staff_voci"
    <<
     \new Staff = "voce" <<
       \new Voice = "voce" {
        \voceMusic
        }

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voce" {
      { \lyricsI \lyricsII }

Obviously I'm missing some subtle difference between a variable calling \lyricmode { } and using \addlyrics { }. Can you advise me on how to fix the syntax here?