Re: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI.

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI.
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 00:13:39 +0100

Hello Graham,

On 17.03.2016 23:51, Graham King wrote:
# { c_\markup { \dynamic p \italic { dolce } } Looks like a dynamic, walks like a dynamic, but doesn't quack like one. Replace with { c-\omit\p_\markup { \dynamic p \italic { dolce } } Likewise for "meno f" and many other cases. # { c1\sfz } No this is not a dynamic, either. Try:{ \tag #'pdf { c1\sfz } \tag #'midi { c4->\f ~ c2.\mf } } [note 1]

(the numbering renders quite badly now… this was nos. 5 & 6)

I have a stylesheet called ‘dynamic-custom.ily’, which is \included into ‘standard-include.ily’, which I \include in virtually all my projects. It contains a bunch of lines like:

pDolce = #(make-dynamic-script (markup "p" #:normal-text #:italic "dolce"))

[equivalent to
pDolce = #(make-dynamic-script #{ \markup { p \normal-text \italic dolce } #})
]

\pDolce now creates a DynamicText grob instead of a TextScript grob, which is crucial, since only the former affects MIDI. I guess you might do something similar for ‘sfz’, but without getting a proper rendition in sound, of course.

HTH, Simon