Re: How to handle system objects?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: How to handle system objects?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:44:16 +0100

Am 17.03.2016 um 11:34 schrieb Carl-Henrik Buschmann:
When working with large projects (or small for that matter) like an orchestral
piece, how do one best handle system wide objects like repeats, rehersal marks,
tempi etc? It is tedious entering every thing in every voice, not to mention
prone to errors.

One idea i have is to make a silent voice and embed (not sure of the
terminology here) it into every staff, but i'm not sure if it is the best way,
nor how to execute it.

I always have a “global” voice that is used in every staff of the full score and the parts. You can put \time, \key, \tempo, \bar, \repeat volta, \alternative, \mark etc. into that voice and don’t need to repeat them in every instrument. Even \repeat volta and \alternative aren’t needed in the parts except if you want to use \unfoldRepeats for the midi:

%%%
global = { \repeat volta 2 { s1 } \alternative { { s } { s } } s }
violin = \relative { c'4 d e f g a b c g f e d c1 }
\new Staff << \global \violin >>
%%%

The basic structure of my projects is the following (files separated by %%%%%, I have some more files but they are irrelevant for your question):

%%%%%

global = { \time … \key … \tempo … s1*48 \mark \default … \bar "|." }

fluteI = \relative { … }
fluteII = \relative { … }
…
contrabass = \relative { … }

%%%%%

% full score:
\score {
  <<
    … full score with StaffGroups etc., one example staff:
    \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Violin I" } <<
      \global
      \violinI

    …

}