Re: Dynamics context and vertical positions

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Dynamics context and vertical positions
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:32:51 -0700 (MST)

Gilberto,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Gilberto Agostinho [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem I have with it is that I often find the distance between the dynamics and the staff to be very large and for no apparent reason.
So my question is: how is the best way to handle this? How can I bring the Dynamic context closer to the Staff but still avoiding collisions? Are there any overrides I could use for that?

Although it might not be apparent what's going on, there is a logical explanation. In the first instance you are attaching the dynamics to the NoteColumn (giving it vertical flexibility, independent of other dynamics instances), the second uses a non-staff context which has its own spacing relative to other [non]staff contexts. You can read about this in detail here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems

HTH,
Abraham