Re: Use jazz fonts in LilyPond?

From: Eric Albert
Subject: Re: Use jazz fonts in LilyPond?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 18:10:56 -0500

I've been working from Leigh Verlag's page on faking a Real Book page in
LilyPond (thanks to Kieren for the link):

  http://leighverlag.blogspot.ca/2015/12/mimicking-real-book-look.html

That page answers many of my questions. I still have some font questions.
Please forgive my ignorance of both LilyPond (this is my first project) and
fonts in general (no experience other than changing fonts inside a Microsoft
Word document).

Can I use any jazz character font set with LilyPond? Or is there a magic order
that the symbols need to be in?

I like the look of the commercial product JazzFont (to view the complete
character sets, click on "KEYSTROKES" in the rightmost blue box on the second
line of boxes in the top center of the page, then click on "Jazzfont for
Windows", which is down a bit on the right):

  www.jazzfont.com

I see that this font set has several subsets (pardon the wrong language),
including one ("JazzCord") that appears to map single character codes to things
such as "-7(b5)". Can this feature be uses with LilyPond? Or is it easier to
use LilyPond with one character code mapping to a single character?

I guess the basic question is: Could I use this font set productively with
LilyPond? Or should I stick to LilyJazz and LilyJazzText?

I realize my questions may be incoherent or incomprehensible. My apologies. I
just installed by first font (Windows 7 Pro) five minutes ago...

Thanks!

-- Eric