Re: Spacing with \new Lyrics and a full measure rest.

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Spacing with \new Lyrics and a full measure rest.
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 11:47:24 -0000

"Simon Albrecht wrote Tuesday, March 01, 2016 10:37 AM

> On 01.03.2016 11:04, Hwaen Ch'uqi wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> This is an example from a vocal score for a musical. What is the best
>> way of ensuring that the barline and subsequent measure respects the
>> length of the spoken text rather than the full bar rest?
>
> Add a Bar_engraver to the Lyrics context. The BarLine will be made very
> small, so it’s invisible, but the LyricTexts still have to avoid it:

A further trick is shown in the NR which may be better under some
circumstances as it makes the bar and the lyrics the same length.
See
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/opera-and-stage-musicals#dialogue-over-music

But this section in the NR doesn't mention adding the Bar_engraver.
That would be a useful addition.

Applied to your music:

\version "2.18.2"

\score {
   <<
     \new Voice = "Darcy" \relative c' {
       \key es \major \time 3/2 \clef treble
       <<
     {
       R1.^\fermataMarkup %170
     }
     \new Lyrics \with {
       \consists "Bar_engraver"
       \override LyricText.font-shape = #'italic
       \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
     }
     {
       \lyricmode {
         \markup {
           \column {
         \line {
           \fontsize #1 \upright \smallCaps Esther: "Oh. It's just what I've
always"
         }8*10
          "wanted!"8*2

       \override NoteHead.style = #'cross
       bes'8^\markup \fontsize #1 \smallCaps Chorus r r4 r1\bar "|." %171

     }
     \new Lyrics \lyricsto "Darcy" {
       \override LyricHyphen.minimum-distance = #1.0
       \set lyricMelismaAlignment = #CENTER
       jah!

\layout {
   \context {
     \Lyrics
     \override BarLine.bar-extent = #'(-0.0001 . 0.0001)