Re: Long words in lyrics and spacing

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Long words in lyrics and spacing
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 08:25:33 -0600

On Sun 28 Feb 2016 at 18:45:36 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> If I remove the call to the consists statement in the layout block, the long
> words run over the bar. If you add it in, they line up. I don’t understand
> why.

Well, my assumption has been that adding that engraver should have the
effect you observe. However, we have come upon this from different
directions. In my other thread (Vertical position of bar numbers),
I was admiring the facility with which the likes of David and Simon
juggle engravers and contexts to do the things I couldn't quite see
how to do. So I headed off to the documentation; usually the NM, but in
there there's a cross-reference to LearningM, so I took a look at that
to see how it's changed. (I last read it cover to cover in the days of
2.6 or 2.8).

So that's how I came across the \context{ \Lyrics \consists Bar_engraver
construction, which is used but not explained. And I haven't got my
modified version of their printed example to make any difference.

Your example uses \new Lyrics { } (which I only use with repeats I want
to unfold) rather than \addlyrics, rests (I'm using notes like LM),
and _ rather than \skip4. So I'm battling across the middle ground to
try and see where the difference in behaviour between our examples arises.

It may take awhile. I often sit on problems to let them sink in.
I still hadn't replied to Simon after 6 days, until you jogged my
memory with the similar problem...

Cheers,
David.