Re: install frescoba 2.18.2 in Ubuntu

From: Bernard
Subject: Re: install frescoba 2.18.2 in Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 08:29:52 +0100

Hi Noeck,

Second reply, I was not reading to careful.

http://lilypond.org/unix.html before? There is a small "Install"
section. What was missing for you?

Yes I saw that, but it was missing install from shell. I really prefer using apt-get because I have bad experience with download and install because of the depencies hell. So the message should be "do not us use apt-get because you will retrieve probably version 2.16.2" But even better, use a apt-get ppa repository, this you keep u to date your self, without being dependant of Debian. Like : https://launchpad.net/~frescobaldi/+archive/ubuntu/ppa (but the status is unknown, and out of date)

This info is inconsistent with the Frescobaldi info, and my assumption was Frescobaldi was correct. Which was wrong.

- Should it mention the --prefix option?

It would help, for me that was not crucial.

- Should it mention that you can have several versions installed in
  parallel?

Yes it sure does. Because I had version 2.16.2 was installed and Frescobaldi urge to uninstall previous version of python-ly because it can cause inconsistency. Unfortunately I can not recall where I found that info.

- Was only the Frescobaldi settings part new to you? Should it be
  mentioned?

Yes it would. Installing Frescobaldi does install Lilypond, which is very convenient, if it was the correct Lilypond version. Frescobaldi should mention only the old version is installed, and go the the Lilypond website for info how to install Lilypond 2.18.2.

I hope it does help others as well.

Thanks,

Bernard