Re: help needed with project notation strategy

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: help needed with project notation strategy
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 15:15:16 +0100

Dave Phillips <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I wrote a piece for piano that I want to notate with LilyPond. The
> piece has some difficult aspects regarding which I need some advice or
> just confirmation that my strategy is sound (or not).
>
> The piece is long, 848 measures of varying textures, styles, tempi,
> and time signatures, with a playing time of about 34 minutes. I plan
> to cut the file into manageable sections and hand-enter the notation
> in LP code. There are unplayable parts that I'll assign to a recorded
> part, though I also want to notate them.

What's your current relation to Emacs?  I'm asking because I have
half-workable text entry tools for it but they are in a state where
you'd likely also invest time in the code and its use rather than just
whatever you are going to input with it.

Other than that, there is also "rumor" for automatic pitch detection.
It does not split polyphonic stuff though.

With regard to splitting Midi tracks at split points _and_ doing Midi
quantizing/notation it might also be an idea to look at Midi sequencers
like Rosegarden.  I think that midi2ly sucks less when already dealing
with quantized Midi, so even just running stuff through Rosegarden for
quantization might help.

--
David Kastrup