Re: variables in \book { }

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: variables in \book { }
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 00:21:50 +0000

On Wed, 2016-02-17 at 00:20 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
Graham King <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2016-02-16 at 19:15 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> However, your original posting stated:
>>
>> > (Alternatively, if there's a way to make book-titling.ily do a
>> > ragged-last-bottom for each piece, that would save even more work).
>>
>> Have you actually tried
>>
>> \layout {
>>   ragged-last-bottom = ##t
>> }
>>
>> before anything else?  That should be taken as starting point for all
>> following \layout blocks.
>>

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I can't pretend to have a very firm grasp of scoping in lilypond, but I
> have now (re-)tried by putting this \layout block in various places,
> including before the \include for each piece.  I've also tried inserting
> it in Nicolas Sceaux's example at the bottom of the book-titling.ily
> code (snippet 368).  All without success, alas.

"before anything else" means before anything else.  Namely first.
Particularly before loading book-titling.ily.

I've tried it at the top of the master file that I compile to create the PDF containing all the pieces:
  \version "2.19.32"
  #(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)
  \layout {
   ragged-last-bottom = ##t
}
The last page of each piece is still as if ragged-last-bottom were ##f.  The final piece might be affected but I can't tell because it fills the last page with systems anyway.

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm thinking we're flogging a dead horse in trying to get book-titling.ily to do this.