Re: aligning an arrow

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: aligning an arrow
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:58:42 -0600

On Sun 14 Feb 2016 at 20:21:57 (+0100), Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2016, at 13:18 , Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Your way of laying this out is rather unusual,
>
> A beginner's messy product but I was glad it worked (except for the third
> arrow). But I see that your suggested manner ...
>
> > Instead of all those hidden notes, I'd suggest using spacer rests (s4 for a
> > crochet spacer).  Don't use stemUp or stemDown here - stick with voiceOne
> > and voiceTwo.  If you use \omit \Stem rather than hide, the arrow won't
> > have to avoid the hidden stem and will be placed as you wish.
> >
> > I would also get rid of all those separate voices, and put all my voiceOne
> > music in one variable and all my voiceTwo in another: much easier to read
>
> ... is in all respects far more elegant and it produces what I need.
>
> Thanks for the lesson.

... which one can illustrate with three diagrams:
yours.png        the mysterious misalignment
unhidden.png     the backstage antics showing the collision
why.png          why the other arrows didn't collide:
                     _their_ near neighbours weren't shrunk, so the
                     stems were further to the right.

I hadn't a clue what your source was doing until I expanded it
vertically. In the source to why.png, any line which has %% on it
has been deleted or modified. (I also inserted a \time 4/4)

Cheers,
David.