Re: More ponderings on Chordmode

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: More ponderings on Chordmode
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 12:24:25 +0100

On 2016-02-06 12:05, Peter Gentry wrote:

I have tried a couple of different instrument names. The chord sound does vary
but still very much piano like.

\score {
<<
\chords {
   \set ChordNames.midiInstrument = #"banjo"
     \myChordsTransposed
}
   \new FretBoards {
     \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
     \myChordsTransposed
   }

   \relative c''
   \new Staff {
     \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic guitar (nylon)"

If you change acoustic guitar (nylon) to banjo and comment out the chords section you'll hear that the banjo (or any other fretted string instrument) will sound through your midi player.

I'm just using the in Windows built in synthesizer so it doesn't sound like a banjo or acoustic guitar. Chords will sound more like a keyboard/piano with a slightly different tone.

So the sound depends on the synthesizer that is used to create them. The built in software synthesizer in windows is really bad! Don't know which OS you are using, but there are software synthesizer that give a much better sound, e.g. Coolsoft Virtual Synth http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

// Anders