Re: Parenthesised articulations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Parenthesised articulations
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 22:02:17 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> To LilyPond, braces indicate sequential music.
>
> Well, clearly there’s more going on than simply “sequential music”, or else
>
>     \transpose c c’ { c d }
>
> would be no different than
>
>     \transpose c c’ { c } d
>
> which clearly isn’t true.

It clearly isn't true.  Also it is a non-sequitur.  \transpose, like
many music functions, takes one music expression.  Which can be a
sequential music expression, even an empty one (which is still an
expression of type SequentialMusic, just one with () as its elements
field).

>> Of course it sees the subsequent braces and acts according to their
>> meaning
>
> Then there’s no technical reason why my suggestion couldn’t work.
> That’s all I asked.

Shrug.  You'll find that convincing LilyPond is not as easy as
convincing yourself.  It's not particularly susceptible to syllogisms.

--
David Kastrup