Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:06:19 -0500

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 7:45 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Sharon Rosner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But seriously, I see no reason to change a system which works so well
>> for so many different kinds of music. All these alternative systems, I
>> don't see what advantage they offer. On the contrary, there are many
>> downsides - they're unsuitable for keyboards,
>
> Piano keyboards.  Chromatic button accordions would likely benefit, as
> would Janko keyboards.

I’d also add guitars, most string instruments, and any other isomorphic
instruments:

http://musicnotation.org/wiki/instruments/isomorphic-instruments/

Although, I wouldn’t say “unsuitable” but maybe just "a little less ideal" for
traditional 7-5 keyboard layouts, especially if you color them (or just
conceive of them) in this way:

http://musicnotation.org/wiki/instruments/6-6-colored-traditional-7-5-keyboard/

>> unsuitable for tonal music,
>
> Not "unsuitable" as much as intransparent.  It's harder to see the
> tonality.

Yes, or you could say they provide a different perspective on the tonality of
tonal music, by revealing the interval patterns behind it, which also happen to
be the interval patterns you have to play on an instrument to produce it.

Cheers,
-Paul