Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:02:38 -0500

On Jan 26, 2016, at 7:35 AM, Chris Yate <address@hidden> wrote:

As it is, when I mark up confusing music I sometimes use an upside-down "V" to indicate semitones, "=" to indicate 'same note' and a square bracket (like upside down "|__|") between notes to indicate a tone. This is occasionally useful to me as an aide-memoire, in stuff where we have lots of double-sharps and flats, but it's certainly not "standard".

I can’t help but point out, just FWIW, and intending this in a tone of respect, and as one consideration among a host of others that might outweigh it...

...that this kind of annotation wouldn’t be needed in a system where the differences between intervals (semitone, tone, others...) were clearly and consistently represented.

Cheers,
-Paul