Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: musicus
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:38:43 +0000

Dear Sharon,

"This last bit made me laugh out loud. Well I guess some musicians do not
really feel like focusing on every single note. The good ones do though."

I'd like to contradict on this one. Of course a good musician needs to focus on every detail, but only the "bad" ones neglect the bigger context. The key is to focus on the "right" thing, which is in many cases NOT every single note of an chromatic scale, IMO.

For example you don't calculate 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1, because you have to control each single arithmetic operation.
1*8 is definitely the way to go ;)

Nevertheless I think there is an misunderstanding:

"All these alternative systems, I don't see
what advantage they offer."

It was never my intention to question our well proven notation system, but only to improve some awkward side effects of it.

Best Regards,
musicus